Are You Speaking Words Worthy of Your Calling in Jesus? (Colossians 3:8-11)Gus Gill, March 24, 2019
Part of the Colossians series
Colossians 3: 8-11.
1. Are your words coming from a place of grace or anger?
A. An emphatic command, “ but now”- put them all aside. James 1: 19-20.
B. Anger, wrath, malice, and slander. James 3: 8-10.
C. Leads to and results in abuse.
2. Do your words reflect Jesus or the evil one?
A. A continuous command- do not lie to one another.
B. Put on the new self- the true knowledge. 2 Timothy 3: 16-17
1 Peter 2: 1-3.
C. In the image of the creator Jesus. John 1: 16-17, Proverbs 15: 1-4.
3. Do your words lead to unity or division in Jesus’ church?
A. A renewal in which there is no distinction.
B. Being prejudice can lead to separation. James 2: 1-6.
C. Our faith in Jesus brings us together in unity. Romans 12: 3-10.
Application- So What?
1. It starts with an honest evaluation. Psalm 139: 23-24.
2. Which often leads to confession. 1 John 1: 9-10.
3. Another chance to recommit our words. Ephesians 4: 29.
8But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. (KJV)
HILLSIDE COMMUNITY CHURCH
103 N Ford St
Golden, CO 80403